On March 10, 2020, FERC accepted and suspended Midcontinent Independent System Operator, Inc.’s (“MISO”) proposal to allow for the selection of a storage facility as a transmission-only asset (“SATOA”) in the MISO Transmission Expansion Plan (“MTEP”). FERC found that MISO failed to demonstrate that the proposal was just and reasonable and not unduly discriminatory, and directed staff to convene a technical conference to explore issues including:
- Evaluation and selection criteria for a SATOA in the MTEP;
- Permitted market activities for SATOAs and potential wholesale market impacts;
- How MISO’s current formula rate structure accommodates cost recovery for SATOAs;
- A SATOA’s potential impact on MISO’s generator interconnection queue; and
- Operating guidelines that will apply to a SATOA.